Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) enPR: ôr, IPA(key): /ɔɹ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɔː/
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) enPR: ōr, IPA(key): /o(ː)ɹ/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /oə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)
- Homophones: ore, o'er; or (in accents with the horse-hoarse merger); aw, awe (in non-rhotic accents with the horse–hoarse merger)
oar (plural oars)
- An implement used to propel a boat or a ship in the water, having a flat blade at one end, being rowed from the other end and being normally fastened to the vessel.
- An oarsman; a rower.
- He is a good oar.
- (zoology) An oar-like swimming organ of various invertebrates.
- (implement used to propel a boat): paddle
implement used to row a boat
- To row; to propel with oars.
to row — see row