Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Of, or pertaining to, capitalism.
- capitalist economy
- capitalist countries
- 2012 March-April, John T. Jost, “Social Justice: Is It in Our Nature (and Our Future)?”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, archived from the original on 2012-02-13, page 162:
- He draws eclectically on studies of baboons, descriptive anthropological accounts of hunter-gatherer societies and, in a few cases, the fossil record. With this biological framework in place, Corning endeavors to show that the capitalist system as currently practiced in the United States and elsewhere is manifestly unfair.
- 2019 August 14, Matthew Desmond, “In order to understand the brutality of American capitalism, you have to start on the plantation”, in New York Times:
- This is a capitalist society. It’s a fatalistic mantra that seems to get repeated to anyone who questions why America can’t be more fair or equal. But around the world, there are many types of capitalist societies, ranging from liberating to exploitative, protective to abusive, democratic to unregulated.
- Supporting or endorsing capitalism.
- 2017 January 30, CNN Town Hall, CNN, spoken by Nancy Pelosi:
- Well, I thank you for your question, but I have to say we're capitalist—and that is just the way it is. However, we do think that capitalism is not necessarily meeting the needs with the income inequality that we have in our country.
supporting or endorsing capitalism
capitalist (plural capitalists)
- The owner of a considerable amount of capital; a wealthy person.
- 1818, Edward Cooke, “Thought on the Expedency [sic] of Repealing the Usury Laws”, in The Pamphleteer, volume 13, number 25:
- Very little of capital acquired in commerce is directed towards agriculture, save where a wealthy capitalist purchases lands for his own use; but it is seldom, if ever, applied to the improvement of the country, in the hands of the original landholders.
- 1824, John Rooke, An Inquiry into the Principles of National Wealth, page 90:
- Were a wealthy English capitalist to dispose of the property that belongs to him in Êngland, which has been realised by former industry, and take it to Van Diemen's Land, where he could have land for nothing, he would probably discover that he had made no very judicious change.
- 1882, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineer's Monthly Journal, volume 16, page 337:
- The capitalist, often the mere inheritor of wealth, the lucky finder or purchaser of a mine, or a successful gambler in the cereals necessary to life, human and animal, can not boast of his superior power
- 2000, John W. De Forest, Miss Ravenel's Conversion from Secessions to Loyalty:
- He paid out, and received on account of the Government, thousands of dollars daily; and the mere handling of such considerable sums made him feel as if he were a great capitalist.
- Someone whose wealth (capital) is invested in business ventures in order to return a profit.
- 1871, John Stephen Wright, Wright's Proposition to a Chicago Railway Capitalist, page 40:
- That is all that is asked; and no capitalist in New England can make one quarter on capital in ordinary investments, on what can be made upon Chicago real estate.
- 2021 January 13, Christian Wolmar, “Read all about London's Cathedrals of Steam”, in RAIL, issue 922, page 62:
- Every rail company worth its salt wanted to connect with London. Interestingly, it was largely that way around - provincial entrepreneurs wanting to connect with the capital, rather than London capitalists seeking to spread outwards.
- A person who is a supporter of capitalism.
- 2007 December 20, Clive Thompson, “Clive Thompson on How the Next Victim of Climate Change Will Be Our Minds”, in Wired Magazine, number 16.01, archived from the original on 2013-06-30:
- In a world of cheap airfares, laptops, and the Internet, we proudly regard mobility as a sign of how advanced we are. Hey, we're nomadic hipster capitalists!
- capitalist anarchism
- capitalist anarchist
- capitalist realism
- capitalist roader
- crony capitalist
- venture capitalist
supporter of capitalism
owner of capital
- capitalist in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- capitalist in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911
- capitalist at OneLook Dictionary Search
- capitalism on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Declension of capitalist
|indefinite articulation||definite articulation||indefinite articulation||definite articulation|
|nominative/accusative||(un) capitalist||capitalistul||(niște) capitaliști||capitaliștii|
|genitive/dative||(unui) capitalist||capitalistului||(unor) capitaliști||capitaliștilor|
Declension of capitalist