Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkapɪt(ə)lɪz(ə)m/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (General American) enPR: kăpʹĭ-tl-ĭz'm, IPA(key): /ˈkæpɪ̈tl̩ˌɪzm̩/
- (politics) A socio-economic system based on private ownership of resources or capital.
- (economics) An economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.
- (politics, economic liberalism) A socio-economic system based on private property rights, including the private ownership of resources or capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of a market unregulated by the state.
- (economics, economic liberalism) An economic system based on the abstraction of resources into the form of privately owned capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of a market unregulated by the state.
- 1855, William Makepeace Thackeray, The Newcomes: memoirs of a most respectable family, volume 2, page 75:
- The Prince de Moncontour took his place with great gravity at the Paris board, whither Barnes made frequent flying visits. The sense of capitalism sobered and dignified Paul de Florac: at the age of five-and-forty he was actually giving up being a young man, and was not ill-pleased at having to enlarge his waistcoats, and to show a little gray in his mustache.
socio-economic system based on private property rights
socio-economic system based on the abstraction of resources
- capitalism at OneLook Dictionary Search
- capitalism in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- capitalism in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- "capitalism" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 50.
capitalism n (uncountable)
Declension of capitalism
|indefinite articulation||definite articulation||indefinite articulation||definite articulation|
|nominative/accusative||(un) capitalism||capitalismul||(niște) capitalisme||capitalismele|
|genitive/dative||(unui) capitalism||capitalismului||(unor) capitalisme||capitalismelor|