Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkapɪt(ə)lɪz(ə)m/
- (General American) enPR: kăpʹĭ-tl-ĭz'm, IPA(key): /ˈkæpɪ̈tl̩ˌɪzm̩/
- (politics) a socio-economic system based on private ownership of resources or capital.
- (economics) an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.
- (politics, economic liberalism) a socio-economic system based on private property rights, including the private ownership of resources or capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of a market unregulated by the state.
- (economics, economic liberalism) an economic system based on the abstraction of resources into the form of privately owned capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of a market unregulated by the state.
- 1855, William Makepeace Thackeray, The Newcomes: memoirs of a most respectable family, volume 2, page 75:
- The Prince de Moncontour took his place with great gravity at the Paris board, whither Barnes made frequent flying visits. The sense of capitalism sobered and dignified Paul de Florac: at the age of five-and-forty he was actually giving up being a young man, and was not ill-pleased at having to enlarge his waistcoats, and to show a little gray in his mustache.
socio-economic system based on private property rights
socio-economic system based on the abstraction of resources
- bolshevism, Bolshevism
- communism, Communism
- fascism, Fascism
- "capitalism" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 50.