- See also Wikisaurus:impoverished
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
wealthy pl (plural only)
- (with "the") Rich people.
2013 May 17, George Monbiot, “Money just makes the rich suffer”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 23, page 19:
- In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. […] The public realm is privatised, the regulations restraining the ultra–wealthy and the companies they control are abandoned, and Edwardian levels of inequality are almost fetishised.
wealthy (plural wealthies)
- A rich person.
1975 December 6, “A Real Presidential Choice Is Being Ignored”, in Evening Independent:
- it was possible for a group like the Libertarians to hope that a couple of weakminded wealthies might donate the seed money to get a campaign rolling.
1977 April 4, “Public TV Presents miracle Series”, in Argus-Press:
- Bernice is a nice, sardonic tale of envy and young wealthies of the pre-flapper era, when a girl who bobbed her hair was thought loose by the flask-bearing blades who tried to get her tight.
2006 November 16, “Can the Democrats Deliver?”, in Washington Post:
- Ending tax cuts to wealthies would only increase tax revenues by $40 - $60 billion a year - about 20% of current deficit - so it's a waste of time.