Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
carbonara (plural carbonaras)
- A thick pasta sauce, usually made with eggs, cheese, and bacon.
1999, Roger D. Skillings, Where the Time Goes, page 10:
- One of my own grand carbonaras, some crisp and spicy greens, a clean Tuscan white, a pint of raspberry sorbet, a pot of freshly ground strong coffee, and a long beguiling night on my couch in pajamas with cannabis, good TV, and no qualms about the future, please.
- A spaghetti dish made using such a sauce.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- (of pasta sauce) made from guanciale, grated cheese and beaten egg cooked gently by the heat of the pasta
- Outside of Italy, especially in processed sauces, egg is replaced with cream
carbonara f (plural carbonaras)