Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌʃæpəˈɹæl/, /ˌtʃæpəˈɹæl/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌʃæpəˈɹæl/, /ˌʃæpəˈɹɛl/, [ˌʃæpɪ̈ˈɹæl], [ˌʃæpɚˈ(ɹ)æl], [ˌʃæpɪ̈ˈɹɛl], [ˌʃæpɚˈ(ɹ)ɛl]
- Rhymes: -æl, -ɛl
- (US) Hyphenation: chap‧ar‧ral
- Rhymes: -ɛl
- A region of shrubs, typically dry in the summer and rainy in the winter. The coast of the Mediterranean is such a region.
- 1920, Peter B. Kyne, chapter IV, in The Understanding Heart:
- It was quite dark when, after an arduous climb, the sheriff made his tortuous way through the chaparral to the point where Anthony Garland should be stationed.
- The foliage of creosote bush, Larrea divaricata, when used as a medicinal herb.
region of shrubs
chaparral m (plural chaparrales)