cloakroom (plural cloakrooms)
- A room, in a public building such as a theatre, where coats and other belongings may be left temporarily.
- (UK) A room where luggage may be left, for example in an airport.
- A private lounge next to a legislative chamber.
- (UK, euphemistic) lavatory, toilet
In the British sense “lavatory”, primarily used by estate agents when describing small, secondary lavatories (North America: half bath), and in occasional use as a posh term to denote the gents’ lavatory, such as at Fortnum & Mason, where it is contrasted with “ladies’ powder” (see powder room).
- (small lavatory, by estate agents): half bath (North America)
- (gents’ lavatory): powder room