Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive, usually followed by the particle "to") To fix the mind upon (something to be accomplished); be intent upon; mean; design; plan; purpose.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 1, in The Celebrity:
- The stories did not seem to me to touch life. They were plainly intended to have a bracing moral effect, and perhaps had this result for the people at whom they were aimed. They left me with the impression of a well-delivered stereopticon lecture, with characters about as life-like as the shadows on the screen, and whisking on and off, at the mercy of the operator.
1935, George Goodchild, chapter 1, in Death on the Centre Court:
- She mixed furniture with the same fatal profligacy as she mixed drinks, and this outrageous contact between things which were intended by Nature to be kept poles apart gave her an inexpressible thrill.
2013 June 7, Ed Pilkington, “‘Killer robots’ should be banned in advance, UN told”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 6:
- In his submission to the UN, [Christof] Heyns points to the experience of drones. Unmanned aerial vehicles were intended initially only for surveillance, and their use for offensive purposes was prohibited, yet once strategists realised their perceived advantages as a means of carrying out targeted killings, all objections were swept out of the way.
- To fix the mind on; attend to; take care of; superintend; regard.
- (obsolete) To stretch to extend; distend.
- To strain; make tense.
- (obsolete) To intensify; strengthen.
1621, Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069:, Bk.I, New York, 2001, p.139:
- Dotage, fatuity, or folly […] is for the most part intended or remitted in particular men, and thereupon some are wiser than others […].
- To apply with energy.
- To bend or turn; direct, as one’s course or journey.
- To design mechanically or artistically; fashion; mold.
- To pretend; counterfeit; simulate.
to fix the mind upon a goal
to be intent upon