Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
First attested 1564, from Middle French compartiment, from Italian compartimento, from Late Latin compartiri (“to divide with, to share with”), from com- + partiri (“to apportion, to divide, to share”)
compartment (plural compartments)
- A room, or section, or chamber
- One of the parts in which an area is subdivided.
- (biochemistry) Part of a protein that serves a specific function.
- (heraldry) A mound (often of grass) beneath the shield in a coat of arms on which the supporters stand.
- (anatomy) A region in the body, delimited by a biological membrane.
part into which an area is subdivided