Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 French
- 4 Italian
- 5 Latin
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)tə(ɹ)
supporter (plural supporters)
- A person who gives support to someone or something.
- A person who supports, promotes, advocates or champions a cause or movement; an adherent.
- A person who provides moral or physical support to another; an attendant participating in a ceremony or procession.
1937 November 10, “Ceremonial of the Coronation of Their Majesties [King George VI and his wife Elizabeth, Westminster Abbey, London, 12 May 1937]”, The London Gazette (Supplement), number 34453, page 7031 at 7056:
- THE INTHRONIZATION. The King ascended the Theatre, accompanied by the two Bishops his Supporters, the Great Officers of State, the Lords carrying the Swords, and the Lords who had borne Their Majesties' Regalia, and was Inthroned by the Archbishops, Bishops, and the other Peers, who then stood about the steps of the Throne.
- (sports) Someone who is a fan of a certain sports team or sportsperson.
- There were 10,000 supporters in the last match.
2011 October 20, Michael da Silva, “Stoke 3 – 0 Macc Tel-Aviv”, BBC Sport:
- With the Stoke supporters jeering Ziv's every subsequent touch, the pantomime atmosphere created by the home crowd reached a crescendo when Ziv was shown a straight red shortly after the break in extraordinary circumstances.
- Something that supports another thing.
- Something that supports a structure such as a building or a sculpture.
- (heraldry) An animal or figure that supports a shield in a coat of arms.
- A garter worn around the leg to support a sock or stocking.
- Short for athletic supporter.
Person who supports, an adherent
animal or figure that supports a shield in a coat of arms
- to support
- to bear
- Je ne supporte pas le mot injustice. (François Pérusse) - I can't bear the word injustice.
Conjugation of supporter (see also Appendix:French verbs)
|gerund||en supportant||en ayant supporté|
|present perfect||Use the present tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|past anterior1||Use the past historic tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|future perfect||Use the future tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|conditional perfect||Use the conditional tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|subjunctive||que je (j’)||que tu||qu’il||que nous||que vous||qu’ils|
|past||Use the present subjunctive tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect1||Use the imperfect subjunctive tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
supporter m (plural supporters)
- “supporter” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
supporter m, f (invariable)