Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈstɑkɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈstɒkɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒkɪŋ
stocking (plural stockings)
- A soft garment, usually knit or woven, worn on the foot and lower leg under shoes or other footwear.
- a pair of stockings
- A broad ring of a different colour on the lower part of the leg of a quadruped.
- A knitted hood of cotton thread which is eventually converted by a special process into an incandescent mantle for gas lighting.
- Stocking may refer either to men's socks or to women's hose, but rarely to socks when worn by women. However, this usage appears somewhat variable.
terms derived from stocking (noun)
garment (for translations of "sock", see sock)
- present participle of
- I've almost finished stocking these groceries.
- stocking in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911