Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Countdown
countdown (plural countdowns)
- A count backward in fixed units to the time of some event, especially the launch of a space vehicle.
- The acts of preparation carried out during this period.
- A radio or television program counting down the top songs of a given week, usually in reverse order ending with the No. 1.
a count backward to the time of some event
the acts of preparation carried out during this period
a radio or television program counting down the top songs of a given week
- (nonstandard) To count down.
1994, Yifeng Yuan, Polarized fluorescence photobleaching for measuring fast rotational motion of cell surface receptors:
- This was accomplished in the old system by polling a software variable representing the number of prebleach bin and issuing a software command to trigger the AOM once the variable has countdowned to zero.
2000, Stephen Mark Cox, Cluck:
- Time measures itself out in a series of diminishing peristaltic ticks, countdowning slowly towards the miracle of Ignition.
count down — see count down