Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (architecture) A dome-shaped ornamental structure located on top of a larger roof or dome.
1886, Robert Louis Stephenson, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde:
- the light falling dimly through the foggy cupola.
- (military) A small turret, usually on a hatch of an armoured fighting vehicle.
- (geology) An upward-projecting mass of plutonic rock extending from a larger batholith.
- (geometry) A solid formed by joining two polygons, one (the base) with twice as many edges as the other, by an alternating band of isosceles triangles and rectangles.
- A type of furnace used for smelting.
2009, S.K. Garg, Comprehensive Workshop Technology, ISBN 8170086353, page 260:
- Cast iron produced in a cupola possesses the following advantages : The cost of melting is low. The control of chemical composition is better. Temperature control is easier. Molten metals can be tapped from the cupola at regular intervals.
- (anatomy) A small cap over a structure that is shaped like a dome or inverted cup.
- the posterior cupola of the cartilaginous nasal capsule
1937, Sir Gavin De Beer, The Development of the Vertebrate Skull, page 180:
- From each anterior cupola there projects forwards the processus prenasalis lateralis inferior.
architecture: dome-shaped ornamental structure
military: small turret
cupola f (plural cupole)