Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: déterrent
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪˈtɛɹənt/, sometimes /dɪˈtɜɹənt/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪˈtəɹənt/
- Serving to deter, preventing something from happening.
serving to deter
deterrent (plural deterrents)
- Something that deters.
- 2008, BioWare, Mass Effect (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, →ISBN, →OCLC, PC, scene: Krogan: Genophage Codex entry:
- 2014, Jimmy Carter, “Full Prisons and Legal Killing”, in A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power, Simon & Schuster, →ISBN, →OCLC, page 38:
- One argument made by proponents of the death penalty is that it is a strong deterrent to murder and other violent crimes, but evidence shows just the opposite. Whereas the last execution in Canada took place in 1962, in 2011 there were 598 murders in Canada and 14,610 in the United States.
something that deters