Jump to navigation Jump to search
envoi (plural envois)
- A short stanza at the end of a poem, used either to address a person or to comment on the preceding body of the poem.
- 2009, January 28, “Erica Jeal”, in LSO/Segerstam:
- From the pulsing throb of the very opening, this was a detailed, incisive playing, culminating in an envoi glowing enough to provide the catharsis this programme so uncompromisingly demanded.
From earlier envei, envoy; from the verb envoyer (“to send”).
envoi m (plural envois)
- dispatch, sending (act of sending); shipping
- (military) dispatch
- package (something that is sent or dispatches)
- (poetry) envoi
- “envoi” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).