Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
florin (plural florins)
- The currency of Aruba, divided into 100 cents, symbol ƒ.
- A pre-decimal British coin, worth two shillings or ten new pence.
- A guilder (former currency unit of the Netherlands).
2014 September 26, Charles Quest-Ritson, “The Dutch garden where tulip bulbs live forever: Hortus Bulborum, a volunteer-run Dutch garden, is dedicated to conserving historic varieties before they vanish for good [print version: Inspired by a living bulb archive, 27 September 2014, p. G5]”, in The Daily Telegraph (Gardening):
- [I]n 1646, during the phenomenon known as "Tulipomania", a tulip like the red and white 'Admirael van der Eijck', or the purple-splashed 'Generalen van Gouda' would sell for more than 1,000 Dutch florins, at a time when the average annual income of a skilled worker was about 300 florins.
- Any of several gold coins once produced in Florence, Italy.
- A pre-decimal Australian coin, worth 24 pence or a tenth of a pound.
the currency of Aruba
pre-decimal British coin
guilder — see guilder
any of several gold coins once produced in Florence, Italy
pre-decimal Australian coin