Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɑli/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɒli/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒli
- Hyphenation: fol‧ly
folly (plural follies)
- This is a war of folly.
- Thoughtless action resulting in tragic consequence.
- The purchase of Alaska from Russia was termed Seward's folly.
- A fanciful building built for purely ornamental reasons.
- A luncheonette in the shape of a coffee cup is particularly conspicuous, as is intended of an architectural duck or folly.
- 2014 September 7, “Doddington's garden pyramid is a folly good show: The owners of a Lincolnshire stately home have brought the folly into the 21st century, by building a 30ft pyramid [print edition: Great pyramid of Lincolnshire, 6 September 2014, p. G2]”, in The Daily Telegraph, London: