Jump to navigation Jump to search
- funeral (uncommon)
- Of or relating to a funeral.
- Synonym: funerary
- 1922 February, James Joyce, “[Episode 12: Cyclops]”, in Ulysses, Paris: Shakespeare and Company, […], →OCLC, part II [Odyssey], pages 293–294:
- From the belfries far and near the funereal deathbell tolled unceasingly while all around the gloomy precincts rolled the ominous warning of a hundred muffled drums punctuated by the hollow booming of pieces of ordnance.
- 2000, George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords, Bantam, published 2011, page 474:
- Seven were chosen to push the funereal boat to the water, in honor of the seven faces of god.
- Similar to or befitting the mood or elements of a funeral: slow; black colors; formal; dignified or solemn.
relating to a funeral