Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English solemne, from Old French solempne, from Late Latin sōlennis and sōlempnis, from Latin sōlemnis, from sollemnis (“ritual; festive, solemn, customary, celebrated at a fixed date”), from sollus (“entire”).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɒləm/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɑləm/
- Hyphenation: sol‧emn
Audio (US) (file)
- Deeply serious and somber.
- Somberly impressive.
- Performed with great ceremony.
- Gloomy or sombre.
deeply serious and somber
performed with great ceremony
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
Declension of solemn