- (UK) IPA(key): /ɡɒθ/
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /ɡɑθ/
- The US pronunciation is the same regardless of whether the speaker has the cot–caught merger, unlike other words in -oth.
- Rhymes: -ɒθ
Audio (CA) (file)
goth (plural goths)
- (uncountable) A punk-derived subculture of people who predominantly dress in black.
- Philip had been into goth for many years.
- (uncountable, music) A style of punk rock influenced by glam rock; gothic rock.
- (countable) A person who is part of the goth subculture.
- We saw a solitary goth hanging out on the steps of the train station.
punk-derived subculture of people who predominately dress in black
style of bleak rock music; gothic rock
person who is part of the goth subculture
- Relating to this music or these people.
- With her black clothes and dyed hair, Melanie looked very goth compared to her classmates.
- 2014, Michelle Madow, The Secret Diamond Sisters (page 39)
- One of them looked like a total freak who had come straight off a Cirque du Soleil stage, with blue streaks in her hair, goth bracelets up her arm and so much black eyeliner that she could be on the set of Cleopatra.