Jump to navigation Jump to search
See better (adverb)
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, with bare infinitive, informal) Should; ought to; need to; must.
- You had better finish that homework on time, if you want to get a good grade.
- “Will we get it finished?” / “We had better.”
- The project had better get finished by the current deadline.
- The negative form is had better not, but in question hadn’t is also possible (see also bettern't).
- Had better is a strong expression. It usually indicates that there will be a consequence or negative result if someone does not follow the suggestion.
- Colloquially, had is often reduced to the clitic 'd or omitted. See better.
- You better have my money by tomorrow.
should; ought to; must