Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Hadith
- (countable, religion, Islam) An eyewitness account of a saying or action of Muhammad (or sometimes one of his companions) not otherwise found in the Quran.
In addition to the Quran, many Muslims also look to the hadiths for moral and spiritual guidance in their daily lives.
There are four main Shia books of hadith and six main Sunni books of hadith.
- (uncountable, religion, Islam, usually capitalized) The entire body of such accounts.
The Hadith are believed to be the words of the Prophet, memorized by his followers and written down in the first or second centuries after the Hegira.
The Hadith is the written record of what Muhammad said and did in his everyday life.
- (countable, religion, Islam) A particular accepted collection of such accounts, as from a single source or within a particular branch of Islam or Islamic jurisprudence.
collected sayings and actions of Muhammad
- hadith (collection of Muhammed's sayings)
|Inflection of hadith (Kotus type 6/paperi, no gradation)|
hadith m (uncountable)
- (Islam) hadith (collected sayings and actions of Muhammad)