Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Heather
Originally only Scottish, in forms with /d/ such as hedder, whereas heath was used in the South of England. So the form heather may be a comparatively modern alteration by association with heath, rather than a cognate.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈhɛðɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɛðə/
- Rhymes: -ɛðə(ɹ)
- Hyphenation: heath‧er
heather (plural heathers)
- (botany) An evergreen plant, Calluna vulgaris, with spiky leaves and small purple, pink, or white flowers.
- (botany) The Ericaceae family.
- (botany) Various species of the genus Erica.
- (botany) Various species of the genus Cassiope.
- A purple colour with a tint of pink and blue.
- (Calluna vulgaris): ling
terms derived from heather (noun)
- Heather on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Ericaceae on Wikispecies. Wikispecies: Ericaceae
- Ericaceae on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons: Ericaceae
various species of the genus Erica
- Of a purple colour with a tint with pink and blue.