Jump to navigation Jump to search
honeymoon (plural honeymoons)
- The period of time immediately following a marriage.
- A trip taken by a newly married couple during this period.
- We went to Greece for our honeymoon.
- 1923, Robert Ervin Howard, Unhand Me, Villain: A Romance:
- I will say, 'Sir, I am going to marry your daughter. Be silent, sir! I have decided to do this and I will not be balked by a gouty old father-in-law. I want you to understand that from now on I am the master of this house. You may write out a check for ten thousand dollars for our honeymoon.'
- A period of goodwill at the beginning of a new term or relationship (e.g. towards a newly elected politician or in respect of a new business arrangement).
- Now that the honeymoon is over, it’s time for us to get down to the business at hand.
- The honeymoon period came to a swift end when the legislation was introduced.
- 1919, John Reed, Ten Days That Shook the World:
- But the “honeymoon” was short. The propertied classes wanted merely a political revolution, which would take the power from the Tsar and give it to them. They wanted Russia to be a constitutional Republic, like France or the United States; or a constitutional Monarchy, like England. On the other hand, the masses of the people wanted real industrial and agrarian democracy.
- 1977 January 12, Gerald Ford, Ford's farewell address,
- It was here, surrounded by such friends, that the distinguished Chief Justice swore me in as Vice President on December 6, 1973. It was here I returned 8 months later as your President to ask not for a honeymoon, but for a good marriage.
period of time immediately following a marriage
trip taken by a newly wed married couple
period of unusually good feelings
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- To have a honeymoon (a trip taken by a couple after wedding).
- My parents honeymooned at Niagara falls.
to travel on a honeymoon