Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Unknown, first attested in the late 17th c. Possible etymologies:
- Alteration of huzzah. This is however questionable.
- From Turkic war cry урра (urra), which means encircle or surround in Tatar, made its way to Slavic languages as ура́ (urá) in the 12th–13th centuries, and later to the Germanic languages: hurra in German, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian and húrra in Icelandic.
- Used to express approval, joy or victory.
Lizzie has broken a world record, and is now an Olympic medallist! – Hooray!
elated expression of approval
hooray (plural hoorays)
- A shout to signify victory.
- An expression of excitement.
a shout to signify victory
an expression of excitement
- To shout an expression of excitement.
to shout an expression of excitement