Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Glassy, transparent; amorphous.
1974, Guy Davenport, Tatlin!:
- They bathed shivering in the cold waves, green hyaline swells in which they stood to the hips savage, intimate, comradely.
- Anything glassy, translucent or transparent; the sea or sky.
- The clear hyaline, the glassy sea.
- Elizabeth Browning
- Our blood runs amazed 'neath the calm hyaline.
- (zoology, anatomy) A clear translucent substance in tissues.
- (biochemistry) The main constituent of the walls of hydatid cysts; a nitrogenous body, which, by decomposition, yields a dextrogyrate sugar, susceptible to alcoholic fermentation.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Arthur Gamgee to this entry?)