Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Lacking the quality or ability of motion; as an inanimate object.
- Not being, and never having been alive.
1818, Mary Shelley, chapter 5, in Frankenstein:
- I had worked hard for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body.
- (grammar) Not animate.
- (not alive): lifeless
- (grammar): animate
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
inanimate (plural inanimates)
- Something that is not alive.
inanimate f pl