Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) enquest
inquest (plural inquests)
- A formal investigation, often held before a jury, especially one into the cause of a death.
- The jury hearing such an inquiry, and the result of the inquiry.
- (rare, obsolete) Enquiry; quest; search.
- the laborious and vexatious inquest that the soul must make after science
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Spenser to this entry?)
investigation into the cause of a death
result of an inquest into the cause of death