Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To repress.
- China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently.
- (transitive) To restrain or control (a sound).
- We must keep the noise down, or the neighbours will complain.
- Keep it down in there! Some of us are trying to sleep!
- (transitive) To cause not to increase or rise.
- It is essential to keep the numbers down to avoid overcrowding.
- (transitive) Not to vomit.
- It is difficult to keep anything down when you have the flu.
- (intransitive) To lie low. To stay concealed by not standing up
- You had better keep down or they will see you.
In all transitive senses the object may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.