Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
absolutely (not comparable)
- In an absolute or unconditional manner; utterly, positively, wholly. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]
- Independently; viewed without relation to other things or factors. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]
- (grammar) In a manner that does not take an object.
- Absolutely is not to be confused with intensives such as very or indeed, as it is an unconditional term.
in an absolute manner
independently; viewed without relation to other things or factors
in a manner that does not take an object
- Some commentators, especially in England, criticise the interjectional use as having no useful meaning beyond that of yes; however, this assumes that emphasis is useless, which, pragmatically speaking, it isn’t.
- Lesley Brown (editor), The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 5th edition (Oxford University Press, 2003 , ISBN 978-0198605751), page 9
- ^ “She Literally Exploded : The Daily Telegraph Infuriating Phrasebook”, Christopher Howse and Richard Preston (Constable‧London, 2007; ISBN 9781845296759), page 3