Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkəʊʃə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkoʊʃəɹ/
- (rare, Yiddish-influenced) IPA(key): /ˈkɔʃə(ɹ)/, /ˈkɑʃə(ɹ)/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊʃə(ɹ)
- (Judaism) Fit for use or consumption, in accordance with Jewish law (especially relating to food).
- Only in New York can you find a good, kosher hamburger!
- David's mother kept a kosher kitchen, with separate sets of dishes for meat and for dairy.
- In order for a suit to be kosher, it cannot contain both wool and linen together.
- (figuratively, by extension) In accordance with standards or usual practice.
- Is what I have done kosher with Mr. Smith?
in accordance with Jewish law
figuratively, normal or standard
- (transitive) To kasher; to prepare (for example, meat) in conformity with the requirements of the Jewish law.
make kosher — see kasher
kosher (plural kosher, comparable)
- (of food) kosher (prepared in accordance with Jewish religious practices)
kosher (plural kosheres)