- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈl(j)ʊ.ɹɪd/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈlʊɹɪd/, /ˈlɔɹɪd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Shocking, horrifying.
- The accident was described with lurid detail.
- Ghastly, pale, wan in appearance.
- Fierce o'er their beauty blazed the lurid flame.
- Wrapped in drifts of lurid smoke / On the misty river tide.
- Being of a light yellow hue.
- Some paperback novels have lurid covers.
- The lurid lighting of the bar made for a very hazy atmosphere.
- (botany) Having a brown colour tinged with red, as of flame seen through smoke.
- (zoology) Having a colour tinged with purple, yellow, and grey.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for lurid in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.