machinist (plural machinists)
- A constructor of machines and engines; one versed in the principles of machines.
- One skilled in the use of machine tools.
- A person who operates machinery.
- A person employed to shift scenery in a theater.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for machinist in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- machinist in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- machinist in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- A machine-operator, engineer; notably: