Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Mademoiselle
- Courtesy title for an unmarried woman in France or a French-speaking country.
- (jocular or affected) A young woman or girl, especially one who is French or French-speaking.
courtesy title for an unmarried woman in France or a French-speaking country
mademoiselle f (plural mesdemoiselles)
- Miss (as a form of address)
mademoiselle f (plural demoiselles)
- Miss (as a title with a name)
- Not used for an older woman unless she is clearly unmarried.
- As of February 21, 2012, the use of the word mademoiselle is prohibited from use in official forms and registries in France. ("‘Mademoiselle’ Exits Official France", "Mademoiselle is no longer an official French woman")