The colloquial sense was coined in the 1950s. Sex has been likened to meat since as early as the 16th century, with such references to it as "have a jumble in the giblets" and "have a bit of mutton", not to mention "carnal relations".
- A market where meat is sold.
- (colloquial, idiomatic) A place where one goes for a casual sexual encounter, such as a bar (establishment) or night club.
- (colloquial) A place or situation abounding in men, especially beefcake.
- (place for casual encounters): meet market
market where meat is sold
place for a casual sexual encounter
- Halifax The Daily News, article dated the 31 May, 2007 'Meat market' bar discriminates: woman