Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ɪŋɡwəl
- Knowing or using a single language; written or spoken in a single language.
- 2019, Li Huang; James Lambert, “Another Arrow for the Quiver: A New Methodology for Multilingual Researchers”, in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, DOI:10.1080/01434632.2019.1596115, page 5:
- Thus approximately 98% of signs contained English, and 93.5% of signs were wholly in English. As far as linguistic landscapes go, this is a case of extreme monolingual dominance in a multilingual setting.
only knowing or spoken in one language
monolingual (plural monolinguals)
- a person who knows or uses only a single language; a monoglot
monolingual (not comparable)
Declension of monolingual
- “monolingual” in Duden online