Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Monopoly
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: mənŏ'pəlē", IPA(key): /məˈnɒpəˌli/
- (US) enPR: mənä'pəlē", IPA(key): /məˈnɑpəˌli/
Audio (US) (file)
monopoly (plural monopolies)
- A situation, by legal privilege or other agreement, in which solely one party (company, cartel etc.) exclusively provides a particular product or service, dominating that market and generally exerting powerful control over it.
- 2014 June 1, John Oliver, “Net Neutrality”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 1, episode 5, HBO:
- Exactly! You can’t reduce the competition when nobody is competing! You could not be describing a monopoly more clearly if you were wearing a metal top hat while driving a metal car after winning second prize in a beauty contest!
- An exclusive control over the trade or production of a commodity or service through exclusive possession.
- A land monopoly renders its holder(s) nearly almighty in an agricultural society.
- The privilege granting the exclusive right to exert such control.
- Granting monopolies in concession constitutes a market-conform alternative to taxation for the state, while the crown sometimes bestowed a monopoly as an outrageous gift.
- (metonymically) The market thus controlled.
- (metonymically) The holder (person, company or other) of such market domination in one of the the above manners.
- (holder): monopolist
situation of exclusive supply
privilege granting such control
market thus controled
holder of such control
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- monopoly in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- monopoly in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- "monopoly" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 209.
monopoly m (uncountable)
- Monopoly (board game)