nature of the beast
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, with "the") The unchangeable nature of something.
- 1863, Sheridan Le Fanu, The House by the Churchyard:
- This slight way of treating both his book and his ancestors nettled little Puddock – who never himself took a liberty, and expected similar treatment – but he knew Sturk, the nature of the beast, and he only bowed grandly […]
- 1884, Frank de Yeaux Carpenter, Round About Rio:
- "A little slow, that's all; but that's the nature of the beast."