- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈəʊɡaɪv/, /ˈəʊdʒaɪv/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈoʊɡaɪv/, /ˈoʊdʒaɪv/
Audio 1 (US) (file) Audio 2 (US) (file)
ogive (plural ogives)
- (statistics) The curve of a cumulative distribution function.
- (architecture) A Gothic pointed arch, or a rib of a Gothic vault.
- (ballistics) The pointed, curved nose of a bullet, missile, or rocket.
- (geology) A three-dimensional wave-bulge, characteristic of glaciers that have experienced extreme underlying topographic change.
From Vulgar Latin *augplva, from Latin augere, as the ogive goes on increasing, and the arch it forms increases the strength of the vault. In Old French we find the phrase arc ogif, itself from Latin arcus augivus. The word was also written as augive in the 17th century.
ogive f (plural ogives)
- Brachet, An Etymological Dictionary of the French Language: Crowned by the French Academy
- “ogive” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- plural of