on the wagon
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- I wanted to git him some whisky, but he shuck his head. ‘I'm on the water-cart,’ sez he.
Compare New York Anti-Saloon League:
- Be a good sport about it. No more falling off the water wagon. Uncle Sam will help you keep your pledge.
- (idiomatic) Abstaining from drinking any alcoholic drink, usually in the sense of having given it up (as opposed to never having partaken); teetotal.
- By extension, maintaining a program of self-improvement or abstinence from some other undesirable habit.
- He’s been on the smoking cessation wagon for two weeks now.