Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (hunting, sometimes followed by on or for to designate the kind of animal hunted) A period of time during the calendar year when authorities within a jurisdiction permit the unrestricted hunting of one or more kinds of animal wildlife.
- (figuratively, often followed by on or for) A situation in which someone is endangered, blamed, harassed, or opposed in a sustained manner by a number of others; a situation in which something is endangered or otherwise opposed.
- 1919, William MacLeod Raine, “Prologue”, in A Man Four-Square (fiction):
- In the country of the Clantons there was always an open season on any one of his name.
- (idiomatic, often followed by on or for) A situation in which or period of time during which some activity or circumstance routinely occurs.
- (hunting): close season