Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɔːθəʊˌiːpi/, /ˈɔːθəʊˌɛpi/, /ˈɔːθəʊɨpi/, /ɔːˈθəʊɨpi/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɔɹθoʊˌɛpi/, /ɔɹˈθoʊəpi/
Audio (US) (file)
- The correct pronunciation of words.
- The study of correct pronunciation.
- The rare ligated spelling orthœpy is unetymological. It occurs in some instances of 19th century US English, apparently to indicate the trisyllabic pronunciation prevalent in US English. The oe in orthoepy does not represent either of the etymological diphthongs ⟨oe⟩ (of Latin) or ⟨οι⟩ (oi — the omicron-iota of Ancient Greek), but rather the two separate vowels ⟨οε⟩ (oe, omicron-epsilon). To mark their separateness, the diæretic spelling orthoëpy is sometimes used.
- (correct pronunciation): cacoepy
the correct pronunciation of words
the study of correct pronunciation of words