park the bus (third-person singular simple present parks the bus, present participle parking the bus, simple past and past participle parked the bus)
- (soccer, idiomatic) To attempt to stop the opposition team from scoring a goal by playing extremely defensively and placing as many players as possible behind the ball.
- 2011, John Williams, Red Men: Liverpool Football Club – The Biography:
- England goalkeeper Gordon Banks resisted everything Liverpool threw at him that day, as City parked the bus and banked on snatching the vital single goal and then holding on.
- 2012, The League Doesn't Lie: The 606 Book of Football Lists, page 311:
- Dan is Head Groundsman at Swansea, who in 2011/12 won plaudits For their positive, passing game - showing that you don't need to park the bus as a promoted side to retain top-flight status.