Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (noun, verb) enPR: pĕdʹəl, IPA(key): /ˈpɛdəl/
- (adjective) enPR: pēdʹəl, IPA(key): /ˈpiːdəl/ or as the noun
- Rhymes: -ɛdəl, -iːdəl
- Homophones: peddle, petal (some dialects)
pedal (plural pedals)
- A lever operated by one's foot that is used to control a machine or mechanism, such as a bicycle or piano
- There are three pedals on manual cars, two on automatics.
- A piano usually has two or three pedals.
- the pedal of a loom
- (medicine) a foot or footlike part.
lever operated by one's foot
- To operate a pedal attached to a wheel in a continuous circular motion.
- to pedal one's loom
- To operate a bicycle.
- He was out of breath from pedalling up the steep hill.
to operate a pedal
- Of or relating to the foot.
pedal m (plural pedales)
- pedal; a lever operated by one's foot that is used to control a machine or mechanism, such as a bicycle or piano