Jump to navigation Jump to search
- pedantick (obsolete)
- Like a pedant, overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points of learning.
- Being showy of one’s knowledge, often in a boring manner.
- Being finicky or fastidious, especially with language.
- (like a pedant): (informal, derogatory) anal-retentive, fussy, nit-picky
- (showy of one's knowledge): (sometimes applicable) nit-picky, ostentatious, pedagogical, pretentious
- (finicky with language): fussy, nit-picky, inkhorn
- See also Thesaurus:fastidious
like a pedant
being showy of one's knowledge
being finicky with language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- pedantic in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- pedantic at OneLook Dictionary Search