plaything (plural playthings)
- A thing or person intended for playing with.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, London: A[ndrew] Millar, OCLC 928184292:
- [S]he hastily retired, taking with her her little girl, whose eyes were all over blubbered at the melancholy news she heard of Jones, who used to call her his little wife, and not only gave her many playthings, but spent whole hours in playing with her himself.
- 1856: Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary, Part III Chapter XI, translated by Eleanor Marx-Aveling
- The next day Charles had the child brought back. She asked for her mamma. They told her she was away; that she would bring her back some playthings.
something intended for playing with