From dialectal German Pretzel, a variant of standard Brezel, from Old High German brezzila, from Medieval Latin brachiatellum, diminutive of Latin bracchium (“arm”); named for the appearance of folded arms.
pretzel (plural pretzels)
- A toasted bread or cracker usually in the shape of a loose knot.
- Anything that is knotted, twisted, or tangled.
- (transitive, Canada, US, informal) To bend, twist, or contort.
- They discovered a snake pretzelled into knots.
pretzel m (plural pretzels)
- pretzel (toasted bread or cracker in the shape of a knot)