Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
self-made (not comparable)
- Of a person, having achieved success by one's own efforts.
- My father was the quintessential self-made man.
1852-1853, Charles Dickens, Bleak House:
- There was I a dragoon, roving, unsettled, not self-made like him, but self-unmade—all my earlier advantages thrown away, all my little learning unlearnt, nothing picked up but what unfitted me for most things that I could think of.
- Of a thing, made by oneself instead of bought or taken over.
1905, Fielding Yost, Football for Player and Spectator:
- Originally each school was bound only by self-made rules.
of a person, having achieved success by one's own efforts