Audio (US) (file)
- Lacking sufficient staff or people, as for normal or efficient operations.
- The tiny restaurant usually got by with three workers on that shift, but found itself shorthanded when the tour bus pulled in.
- 2009, Judy Christie, Gone to Green, →ISBN:
- "What are you doing out here?" I asked Iris. “We shorthanded?” She smiled. “We're always shorthanded, Miss Lois.
- Having less than a quorum.
- 1994, Alabama Court of Appeals, Louisiana. Courts of Appeal, Florida. District Court of Appeals, West's southern reporter, page 1120:
- Neither the code nor the case law discuss whether or how the power of a shorthanded school board should be curtailed
- (team sports) Having, or occurring during an interval with, fewer than a full complement of players, often as the result of a penalty.
- 2014, Jeremy Rutherford, 100 Things Blues Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die, →ISBN, page 246:
- “Scoring a shorthanded goal gives the team a lift,” Lefley said. “We've been picking our spots and making the most of them.
- (poker, of a table) Having fewer than the standard number of players.
- (Can we date this quote?) (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- Some of the ideas discussed in the Omaha eight-or-better section include general concepts, position, low hands, high hands, your starting hand, play on the flop, multi-way versus shorthanded play, scare cards, getting counterfeited, and your playing style.
- In a shorthanded manner.
- 1997, David Wellman, The Union Makes Us Strong: Radical Unionism on the San Francisco Waterfront, →ISBN, page 274:
- "They were working shorthanded," said one PMA official, "this company's got a policy of releasing gangs working shorthanded."
- 2013, Dr. Harry Barker, KICK-IT: A Fun Soccer Primer For Kids, →ISBN:
- A player may receive a red card any time without the player first receiving a yellow card. When a player gets a red card, they must leave the game and their team must play shorthanded.
- 2011, Vines & McEvoy, How to Win No-Limit Hold'em Tournaments, →ISBN:
- Because most pots are played shorthanded, medium pocket pairs, as well as AK, AQ, and AJ, go up in value.