Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɪtə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɪtɚ/, [ˈsɪɾɚ]
- Rhymes: -ɪtə(ɹ)
sitter (plural sitters)
- Someone who sits, e.g. for a portrait.
- One employed to watch or tend something; the general form of babysitter, housesitter, petsitter, etc.
- It's always such a pain to get a sitter on short notice.
- A broody hen.
- (soccer and snooker, slang) A very easy scoring chance.
- How could he miss that? It was an absolute sitter!
- 2015, Paul Wilson, Alexis Sánchez sends Arsenal into final after gallant Reading go the distance (in The Guardian, 18 April 2015)
- Aaron Ramsey, a hero last season against Hull, missed a sitter at the end of normal time that would have made the game safe and must have been relieved that his shot against a post from four yards out did not cost his side more dearly.
- present tense of
- present tense of sitta.