See also: Sitter
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɪtə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɪtɚ/, [ˈsɪɾɚ]
- Rhymes: -ɪtə(ɹ)
sitter (plural sitters)
- Someone who sits, e.g. for a portrait.
- One employed to watch or tend something; the general form of babysitter, housesitter, petsitter, etc.
- It's always such a pain to get a sitter on short notice.
- A participant in a séance.
- A broody hen.
- (soccer and snooker, slang) A very easy scoring chance.
- How could he miss that? It was an absolute sitter!
- 2015, Paul Wilson, Alexis Sánchez sends Arsenal into final after gallant Reading go the distance (in The Guardian, 18 April 2015)
- Aaron Ramsey, a hero last season against Hull, missed a sitter at the end of normal time that would have made the game safe and must have been relieved that his shot against a post from four yards out did not cost his side more dearly.
- animalsitter, animal-sitter, animal sitter
- babysitter, baby-sitter, baby sitter
- birdsitter, bird-sitter, bird sitter
- catsitter, cat-sitter, cat sitter
- cowsitter, cow-sitter, cow sitter
- crittersitter, critter-sitter, critter sitter
- dogsitter, dog-sitter, cat sitter
- homesitter, home-sitter, home sitter
- housesitter, house-sitter, house sitter
- parrotsitter, parrot-sitter, parrot sitter
- petsitter, pet-sitter, pet sitter
- plantsitter, plant-sitter, plant sitter
- puppysitter, puppy-sitter, puppy sitter
- present tense of
- present tense of sitta.